What exactly is ‘Boxercise’ and how can it benefit my health?
If the treadmill is just not working for you or you want to switch up your normal workout routine, then Boxercise might be the ideal sporting option for you. This popular new fitness trend is taking the UK by storm, as more and more people discover this innovative and fun way of keeping fit.
What is Boxercise?
Boxercise is based on the training concepts boxers typically use to keep fit, which includes boxing movements, typically in a circuit, and other types of workouts.
Who is it for?
Everyone! Whatever age, gender or sporting ability you may be, the classes are ideal for anyone, and no previous athletic capability is necessary, so it’s perfect for beginners. As of 2018, this has been very popular among women, who not only see this as a good fitness and weight loss technique, but also a fun and empowering sport.
What does a Choices Boxercise class involve?
In a typical class you spend about 10 minutes on warming up and cardio circuits, 20+ minutes on pad work and about 10 minutes on strength circuits. Then the session will usually end with a group game involving HIIT. During the class we teach you actual boxing skills at a beginner level, so you will be learning something new and engaging your body and mind into a workout format. You’ll learn how to punch safely and effectively, and as you progress you will be taught different types of punches and how they can be incorporated into more complex combinations involving certain footwork and body moves. Boxercise is non-contact, so although we will be simulating boxing moves, there is no actual hitting involved.
What are the benefits:
- The fast-paced hooks, upper cuts and swoops engage the shoulders, back, arms, obliques, core and abdomen. These activities help with tightening, toning and building definition, but not bulk.
- Fast reps of these intense activities build endurance and stamina. During a Boxercise session you use your entire body and receive a full cardiovascular workout. Building muscle mass and burning lots of calories all in one workout means for good results, fast.
- Boxercise can also seriously improve motor skills, balance, reaction time, and overall agility as we engage hand eye coordination in both hands.
- In a Boxercise workout we focus our energy and the mind is stimulated, which has been proven to improve mental agility and decision-making skills in real life.
- One of the great benefits of Boxercise is that it provides you with a positive outlet to release muscle tension and to channel controlled aggression, which can be great for stress relief. Moreover, those who practice it regularly feel more confident about protecting themselves in real life if they ever have to.
At choices gym we hold a Boxercise class once a week on a Wednesday at 5.45pm, sessions cost £5 and last 45 minutes. During the class we focus on boxing skills, using a combination of cardio, strength and pad work circuits. The class is very light-hearted and we encourage anyone to have a go, no matter your fitness, skill level or how coordinated you might be. Classes are filled with a variety of people, so no one should ever feel out of place.